How to Find Out How Many Connections Someone Has to Strategically Grow Your LinkedIn Network
When you see 500+ on a LinkedIn profile, you have no idea how many connections they really have. Since LinkedIn likes to keep us in the dark about this information, how can you strategically use this information to make decisions on connecting with certain people?
In the video below, I demonstrate the ninja trick I discovered to find out how many connections someone really has. By looking at this number, you can then strategically decide which connections will help you grow your network. The number of connections someone has will influence your ability to see more second and third connections, thus giving you more opportunity to build your business and connect with more people.
Here are some key takeaways from the video.
Connections are two-way relationships of trust between people who know each other. If you’re connected to someone, you’re following them and they’re following you by default.
Following allows you to read – right on your homepage – what members are sharing publicly on LinkedIn, including content that they’ve created such as long-form posts. You can follow someone without being connected to them.
There are four places where you will see a “Follow” link associated with a member profile.
- In a LinkedIn Group
- On a LinkedIn Influencers profile
- On a long post
- When you click on the “View Recent Updates” from a person’s profile page.
Steps to find the number of followers:
- Visit the profile of the person you want to review.
- Click on the arrow and select – View Recent Activity.
- Look in the upper right corner to see the number of followers they have.
- If they are not actively publishing long posts, this number most likely reflects the number of first connections they have.
- If they write long posts, they may also have followers in this number.
- Either way, this gives you an idea of their reach and how connecting with them can expand your network.
If you found this tip helpful or have some other LinkedIn tips to share, please comment below!